GenesisPlus by Cutera®
Millions of people suffer from nail fungus. Adults over the age of 60 or patients suffering from diabetes, circulation problems or a weakened immune system are more susceptible to nail fungus than children or young adults. Men also have a higher chance of developing nail fungus over women.
There are five different types of nail fungus:
- Candidal Onychomycosis: Caused by common yeast that creates infections in the skin around nails.
- Proximal Subungual Onychomycosis: Caused by Trichophyton Rubrum and is the most uncommon nail fungus.
- Distal Subungual Onychomycosis: Caused by Trichophyton Rubrum and is the most common nail fungus.
- White Superficial Onychomycosis: Caused by Trichophyton Mentagrophytes and is the 2nd most common nail fungus.
- Total Dystrophic Onychomycosis:The most severe form of nail fungus that affects the entire nail.
There are several steps a person could take to prevent nail fungus from developing:
- Avoid wearing nail polish and/or acrylic nails as they trap the fungus and moisture on your nail.
- Cut your nails straight across; do not round the ends of your nails.
- Avoid cutting or pushing back your cuticle as this is a good way for an infection to develop.
- Simply practice good hygiene, allowing your feet to be well vented and dry.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
Although these tips are helpful, some patients will still develop nail fungus. Nail fungus can be irritating and embarrassing. Warheit Podiatry now has a new state-of-the-art treatment for fungal nails: The GenesisPlus by Cutera Laser.
Cutera is a worldwide leader in laser technology and one of only two lasers FDA cleared for nail fungus/Onychomycosis. The heat sensor on the hand piece ensures accuracy and safety of the nail treatment.
Proven effectiveness: The nail fungus treatment provided by the GenesisPlus by Cutera works by applying a directed focused infared laser light source on to infected toenails and/or fingernails. The laser nail fungus treatment targets the fungal infection in the toenail or fingernail and area below the nail called the toenail or fingernail matrix, also commonly referred to as the nail plate or nail bed. In most cases, the laser nail fungus treatment gets rid of the fungal infection and most patients report little discomfort during or after the procedure. Generally, the laser nail fungus treatment has no age or health restrictions with the exception of women who may be pregnant.